Let’s have a real conversation about time. How often do you wake up and think “I just don’t have enough time to get everything done today?” (Here’s me raising my hand!) Immediately, the day becomes constricting and frantic. As a working mom, this feels especially true right now. Here are a few tips and tricks I’ve implemented to bring more space to our day!
- Put away your phone. This is still requiring an intentional choice from me – my alarm is on my phone, and as such, it is too easy to check a couple emails or scroll Facebook first thing in the morning. These precious minutes – the first ones of my day – deserve more than technology. I now turn off my alarm, and leave my phone on the nightside table while preparing for the day ahead.
- Make the coffee at night. There is something ironically relaxing about the fresh aroma of coffee filling our kitchen each morning. We like to use freshly ground beans, so the night before I typically preset the coffee pot to finish brewing as we wake up. I love starting my day with a warm cup of coffee before our little one is awake!
- Pick an outfit the day before. Each night, I lay out a few items to choose from, so when my sleepy eyes pop out of the shower, I can easily choose and go – no fuss and no stress!
- Meal plan. It sounds simple, but making a few grab-and-go food items, or at least prepping and stocking your fridge and pantry with favorite go-tos, eliminates the thought process when you first wake up. Less thinking, more nourishment!
- Choose gratitude. Words are powerful. Just this week, I had an amazing conversation with a dear friend who reminded me how our day can shift when we choose to think “I have the time I need.” Each morning, I choose one thing for which I am grateful, and begin my day from there.
What are some ways you create a bit more space in your day? Share your thoughts with me in the comment section below.
Share this on social media!