On a long summer day, there’s nothing better (or more Southern) than kicking back on your front porch and watching the sunset with a tall glass of iced
tea. During warmer weather, I like to entertain my friends and family outdoors. I also like to just relax outside in the shade with a good book. If you are looking for an easy way to maximize your outdoor living space, I recommend decorating your front porch. When I was looking for ideas on how to make my front porch more livable and inviting, I went to the Good Housekeeping website (one of my favorite magazines) for inspiration.
Here a few of my favorite decorating ideas from the Good Housekeeping slideshow, 15 Front Porch Ideas Perfect for a Lazy Summer Day, all of which are simple and inexpensive to implement:
- Add sheer white curtains and a few pillows for a shady retreat from the heat. I also love the soft aqua blue paint on the porch ceiling! (If you’re thinking about painting your porch, check out my blog post on Picking Paint.)
- Take the living room outside with homey touches like rocking chairs, pillows, quilts, and rugs that you already have on hand. The child-size table and chairs are an adorable addition if you have kids or grandkids.
- Make your front porch a mini mudroom with a designated space where you can leave your wet, muddy boots or shoes when you come in from gardening, A cute bench is the perfect place to sit down while taking off your rain boots or gardening clogs.
- If your porch is big enough, transplant your patio furniture from the backyard to the front of the house for a great outdoor dining spot. I especially like the informal feel of the mismatched dining chairs.
- Hanging a few well-placed flower baskets is an affordable way to add a splash of color to your front porch and make it feel more welcoming. You can’t go wrong with baskets of red geraniums.
- Your front porch is usually the first impression that visitors have of your home’s decor, so decorating it shouldn’t just be an afterthought. Your front porch or entryway should reflect your personal style. If you are trying to sell your house, a front porch makeover is an easy way to boost your home’s curb appeal. What’s your porch look like? Share it with us and enjoy that glass of sweet tea.
Check out these links for more porch decorating ideas:
Share this on social media!